I’ve spent most of my free time sewing with Lori today. (the time that was not filled with making dinner, taking grey to a playdate, meeting with the contractor or the myriad fo other things that seem to happen over the course of a day) Anyway, I cut out my pattern after extensive alterations to said pattern by Lori. I happen to be very lucky as Lori is a fashion design and patterning instructor at a university in GA. So, she worked on a commercial pattern that I purchased because it was similar to one of my favorite summer shirts. I am very hot natured these days and I hate to wear unflattering things just because they are cooler. So, I thought I would make a few tops. Lori have really worked on this pattern to get it to fit me and look the way I want. Of course, i happen to like details…those little details that make sewing something an absolute crazy pain in the ass and I am an adventurous beginner at best. I made several error s this evening due to being tired and having a headache, so I have nothing to show you. In the morning I will rip part of the neckline out and sew in the facing. then I will hem tha shirt and I will be able to show you a beautiful finished object…………I hope.
On a totally different note, I started a pair of socks last night and they are going well. They are infinitely more portable than the shawl that has to grow beyond comfortable portability!!!!
I am determined to post tonight. In all honesty I have wanted to post a number of times over the last month and have just become too irritated with the Mac to do it. See, I have been a PC user until this past Christmas> I needed a new computer, so Henry bought me the one I wanted terribly… MacBook Pro. It is awesome, but I did not take a clas…I am not that kind of person, I like to figure things out on my own. Unfortunately, the thing that would have helped me the most is what I need to post easily. I need a simple explanation as to where to store things and how to access them easily so that I can load the photos into my post. Agggghhhhh, I will beat this!
Anyway, onto the blog. We are in the middle of renovation land at the moment. The new house has had much work done to her and will have much more work to come. Henry and I have painted the living room, the dining room, the guest room downstairs, and the girls playroom. Now, while this may sound like no big deal, let me explain…..our gal is tall! She has 12ft ceilings which required the purchase of a baker scaffold. We have not turned on the air as we want the house to air out both the paint fumes and the order that she has acquired before our purchase. Anyway, it is hot in TN. It takes me and Henry 2 days per room to lay on two coats of paint. The dining room took three days because we had to paint the poop-BROWN ceiling. We still have the girls room, our room, two bathrooms and the yet to be completed kitchen to paint.
In addition to the painting, we will be ripping out the master bath due to some hidden water damage and not hidden hideousness and the kitchen will be finished by the contractor and a library will be built in the other guest room downstairs. All of this is supposed to be complete by the end of July so that we can move in and get settled before the girls start school. We are crazy! We will make it. Here are a couple of pictures for your enjoyment>>>
That’s the kitchen before.
Above is the before of the dining room.
In news unrelated to the house, I have been doing a bit of sewing, knitting and hand sewing. I took a class with Lori at Textile Fabrics http://www.textilefabricstore.com/public_html/ . The class was on reverse applique and was with Natalie Chanin. http://alabamachanin.com/ It really got me excited about working on ANYTHING again. I have barely knit in the last couple of months because of the house and because I had gone back to work temping for my old company. I have been so busy and so tired, I have not felt like doing anything. It was great to get my hands busy making something again. The creating bug bit hard, so I took advantage of having Lori at hand and dug out two old unfinished sewing projects. Last summer I attempted a dress for each girl and made some fatal errors in the construction. This was before my week long sewing lesson with Lori. I sheepishly dug them out to show her. She said it was salvageable and we began to rip. We ripped out most of my sewing, ironed and repaired. Now, my girls each have the dresses I promised them last year. I also cut out another dress for Grey last night and sewed it. She was pretty pleased with it as well!
I would love to tell you more, but I will save it for later as this stupid post has taken an hour!!!!